Philadelphia Parking-Ticket Amnesty Goes into Effect

Filed under: Featured News |

COUNCILWOMAN Jannie Blackwell

City Council came to grips with a long-standing dilemma on Tuesday with the unveiling of an amnesty for old parking tickets.

The measure was a response to a campaign by the Finance Department to collect up to $580 million in unpaid parking tickets, some of them going back decades. While there was widespread applause for this measure – this lost revenue could go a long way toward funding the city’s schools, for instance – Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell (3rd Dist.) expressed several concerns.

Many old tickets are owed by low-income residents who cannot afford to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for ancient infractions. In addition, she pointed out, it is not clear that all old records are reliable; yet there are few means to dispute them at this time. Enabling people to write off old tickets would encourage them to get right on recent tickets and start the habit of working with the law going forward.

Who is eligible for amnesty?
• Individuals with parking violations issued prior to 2013 that are unpaid, or partially unpaid.
• Individuals with towing and storage fees prior to 2015.

How will I benefit from amnesty?
• All parking tickets including fines and penalties prior to 2013 will be forgiven and/or
• 70% of towing & storage fees prior to 2015 will be forgiven.

How do I enroll in amnesty?
• To enroll, individuals can make payments in full for violations issued in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017, or they can enroll in a payment plan for outstanding tickets: 10% down payment, over 24 months.
• If an individual does not have any unpaid tickets issued 2013-2017, they can pay a $50 fee to enroll in amnesty and will be forgiven of all violations older than 2013 (except for towing and storage fees).
• Individuals with towing and storage fees prior to 2015 can enroll by paying 30% of fees in full and the remaining 70% will be forgiven. No payment plans will be offered for towing and storage fees prior to 2015.

How do I stay enrolled in amnesty?
• If enrolled in a payment plan for tickets issued 2013-2017, individuals must make all monthly payments on time to stay enrolled in amnesty.
• If a payment on tickets issued 2013-2017 is missed, individuals will no longer be eligible for amnesty and will be responsible for older tickets unless special circumstances can be shown.

What will happen next?
Enrollment in the amnesty program will begin Mar. 1 and run through April 30.
• On Mar. 1, please visit www.phila.gov/parkingamnesty to find out more information and enroll online.
• Beginning Mar. 12, visit 917 Filbert Street between 8:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday.

JOIN OUR NEWSPAPER
Join over 3.000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn how to optimize your blog for search engines, find free traffic, and monetize your website.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.
PDF Converter    Send article as PDF

18 Responses to Philadelphia Parking-Ticket Amnesty Goes into Effect

1. I just recive more tickets in the mail I do not understand what is going on . We move out of the city on 06 2004 and we move 4hrs away .we do not come down to the city we have no reason too. But when we first move here we received a phone call from the parking ticket division and they explained we had out standing tickets ,we have recipes for every one we got and paid them .he said it could of been blown off the vecial or lost some way .so I paid them and I ask are you sure there is know more he replied no more we were good , then in about a year later another call from your division saying we owe for nonpayment on parking tickets again .i got my receipts out and he said that the numbers were not the ones I owe so I told him I ask the man if there was any more he said no now you say I have more. So now you say I owe all of these .i think some one in your payment division . Did not enter my payments and took my money ,I have my bank staments, and I have all of my tickets that I got and all of my receipts from my banks and post office . It seems all ful funny after all these years I get more tickets for years I have not live in Phila .that was one of the reason we move .i eve an have photos of the cavorts of business that would not get ticket s and how the people’s who was living there always ticket, now my hubsand is in bad health and myself has health issues too he is 70 this month coming and I am in my late six,s .we have a very fix income which I know we could not pay any pass tickets ,we get $ 947 00 a month . So paying you would take a way from my food I don,t get food stamps or any extra I will be sending he reporter a copy .

Pamela Mcintyre
    March 11, 2018 at 5:37 pm

2. received amnesty letter for a parking ticket in a neighborhood that i have never been. not paying it until the city can prove this was may actual car, which i no longer have.

Sandra Lee
    March 13, 2018 at 10:56 am

3. my name is virgil lee riggins i got a letter stated that i owe phila a 71.00 ticket 12-8-06 i payed that because they where talking about not renewn my licence 11 years ago ya all got a serious proplem in your trust in people that work there i need to get a hold of my lawyer because im not going for this and im right i will sue the city of phila and i will get more then 71.00 thank u

virgil riggins
    March 14, 2018 at 10:55 am

4. To Whom it May Concern,

I received a letter from the Philadelphia Parking Amnesty Office. Regarding ticket number 187384072,issue date 12/24/97,location 4300 Cresson for over Limit. Since your letter stated tickets prior to 2013
    “will be forgiven”, I would like to thank you for bring this to my attention.

David Rosenberg
    March 14, 2018 at 11:12 am

5. I dont understand how I owe all this money for tickets I never had gotten in the year of 2007. I paid off all my parking ticket’s for the ones I did have. Where are ALL these tickets coming from and where was the car parked. I am 70 years old and on a fixed income, I only get $6OO a month from SS. I pay rent and food and current bills that I am struggling to pay. I dont have any money to pay anything from 2007. I am poor and in need of HELP. PLEASE REPLY BACK by E-MAIL. Thankyou!

Shirley French
    March 19, 2018 at 1:25 pm

6. I dont understand how I owe all this money for tickets I never had gotten in the year of 2007. I paid off all my parking ticket’s for the ones I did have. Where are ALL these tickets coming from and where was the car parked. I am 70 years old and on a fixed income, I only get $6OO a month from SS. I pay rent and food and current bills that I am struggling to pay. I dont have any money to pay anything from 2007. I am poor and in need of HELP. I cant afford to pay $178.38 for something I didn’t do.
    PLEASE REPLY BACK by E-MAIL. Thankyou!
    Plate# FXA7634
    ticket number- 9908325657
    Date Issue 8/14/07
    Amount 594.60
    Shirleespott@gmail.com

Shirley French
    March 19, 2018 at 1:34 pm

7. I am 63 yrs old. you have mailed to me the letter for the program Parking Amnesty. In your letter you are asking me for the plate numbers that at that time I rec’d those tickets according to you. I just can’t and don’t even remember having those tickets. If you do have those tickets under my name and you have my address won’t you have the plate numbers on file? Don’t you think it has been since 2006/2007/and 2008 it is almost more than ten yrs. and you are expecting me to remember the plate numbers? Please I think you should have a better system. I am to old for this. I honestly don’t remember none of those tickets. Never got them. It is sad that the parking authority don’t have the information they need in their system but then again they have my name and address. The system in the internet don’t even let me to complete the form because of that missing inf. “the plate numbers”. I can’t believe it! That is how the Parking Authority of Philadelphia Works.

Regina C. Vega
    March 22, 2018 at 2:34 pm

8. Pamela,

You wrote this reply to the Philadelphia Public Record. We are the newspaper that published this story. We are not the Parking Authority! PPA’s phone number is 1-888-591-3636.

Tony West
    April 2, 2018 at 12:13 pm

9. Mr. Riggins,

Tony West
    April 2, 2018 at 12:15 pm

10. Mr. Rosenberg,

Tony West
    April 2, 2018 at 12:16 pm

11. Ms. French,

Tony West
    April 2, 2018 at 12:16 pm

12. Ms. Vega,

Tony West
    April 2, 2018 at 12:16 pm

13. We completed information for the amnesty program online at http://www.phila.gov/parkingamnesty. This info was entered on March or, 2018 and we still do not have ant return info.

Juan Carlos Nunez
    April 2, 2018 at 3:50 pm

14. I have 5 tickets listed. None of these are my tickets. I sent a letter to the 24th district in April 1994 stating the license plate was stolen.
    I then began to get violations.Some had pictures of the vehicles. NONE of the vehicles were mine. I NEVER owned them. Then in 1999, I got another notice for a violation. Again, not my vehicle.
    Please correct this issue.

Rob Wiacek
    April 13, 2018 at 10:44 am

15. I to got a 14 year old parking ticket for parking in a handicap space in Philly. I never go to Philadelphia and I DO NOT REMEMBER the Licence Plate number of a car I owned 14 years ago !! How this happened I can not figure out ! I am in my late 60’s and have no reason to travel to the city by myself….

marge johnson
    April 19, 2018 at 10:43 am

16. I have never gotten a parking ticket in Philly. It must be the car I donated to Purple Heart. Please check with them.

Audrey Hunte
    April 23, 2018 at 11:38 pm

17. I never got a ticket.

Audrey Hunte
    April 23, 2018 at 11:40 pm

18. So now that you have closed the web registration early, how do you expect people who have moved out of state to register for this program? You deliberately give no phone number for the office. I assure you I will not be walking into 917 Filbert from Wisconsin this afternoon.

Karina Haavik